I wasn't spawned from a computer, just raised by one.



Tuesday, November 18, 2008

These Are The Moments That Make The Other Moments...


I've been super sick the last couple days, and though I won't bore you with all the gory details it's needless to say that when I heard my phone ring this morning I was not a happy camper. I had that brief moment in which I debated even answering it, but luckily I did. This is basically what happened.

Me: Hello?
Chance: AUNT KATIE!!!
Me: Chancey?
Chance: Aunt Katie, will you come for Christmas and make us a gingerbread house? You have to make a gingerbread house with us.
Me: Sure, of course I'll come.
Chance: Okay. Aunt Katie, but you have to wait for Christmas. You have to wait and come and make it on Christmas because then it will be snowing.
Me: Okay.
Chance: I love you, Aunt Katie. Do you want to talk to Steven?
Which I did, but he couldn't understand what I was saying so he said he loved me and then handed the phone to my sister.


Steven and Chance

Last Christmas I decided to make a gingerbread house with my nephews for Christmas and it didn't turn out the way that I had intended. I was called into work on Christmas night and was unable to organize the way that I had wanted. So when I did get home, I was on a time crunch, (the boys were only going to be at our house for the night and then they were going to spend Christmas Day with "the other grandma"), I didn't have all the stuff that I wanted, and was genuinely stressed out. I had wanted to do something special for them and it looked like everything was going to turn out the direct opposite of how I planned it. I decided to make the best of it and not give in to my black cloud that had been circling my head for the last several hours as I had numbly ran last minute Christmas presents under the scanner and reshelved all the things that the shoppers didn't realize they didn't need until they reached the front of the service line. So I sucked it up and we forged on and in the end everything worked out, even if the high saliva content made the whole thing inedible:

Chance, Steven, and Me: Ginger Ewww...

Well, apparently he was in the car flipping through a magazine and saw a gingerbread house, he then told Charlem, ma big sister/his mommy, that he had to call me and remind me that we had to make another one this Christmas. I couldn't help but feel all warm and fuzzy that my five year old, four at the time, nephew now equates me with cake frosting and ice cream cone Christmas trees and for the moment let me forget I've lost all ability to feel my nose. :)

It sort of makes you think. What to me was a very muffed up day had still, at least in one respect, gone exactly as planned.


My niece Emily with the finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails